Bayern Munich have tonight confirmed that Sadio Mané has undergone successful surgery in Innsbruck following a leg injury that will see the Senegalese forward miss the World Cup.
In a statement released by the Rekordmeister on Thursday night, they said that Prof Christian Fink and Dr Andy Williams from London conducted an operation that reattached to the head of his right fibula.
The African Footballer of the Year will begin his rehabilitation in Munich in the next couple of days.
Mané was called up to the Senegal squad by Aliou Cissé despite suffering the injury on November 8. There had been hope that should Senegal progress to the knockout stages, Mané may have been fit enough to play.
As reported last week, Fatma Samoura, the Senegalese FIFA General Secretary said that Senegal will use witch doctors in order to ensure Mané’s (30) participation in the upcoming World Cup in Qatar.
Since his move from Liverpool for an initial €32m, Mané has scored 11 and created four in 23 games across all competitions for Bayern Munich.
GGFN | Daniel Pinder